Home  >  Traffic Offences  >  Speeding 

Speeding - High Speed Suspensions

Can I lose my licence for speeding?


Yes, you can. If you a caught driving more and 40km/h over the speed limit, you will receive a letter from the Department of Transport and Main Roads imposing a suspension of your licence for 6 months. A good driving behaviour licence is not available if you are convicted with a high-speed offence.


For many traffic offences, in addition a fine, you also lose demerit points. If you lose more than your allocated demerit points you can lose you licence. If you have accumulated too many demerit points you will recieve notification from Qld transport. It is important that you read this document carefully as it will set out the various options available to you. If you are unsure what to do, contact one of our lawyers who can talk you through the pros and cons of each option. See our cumulative disqualification page for more information.  


Do I have to go to court for a speeding offence?


In some circumstances you might be given a notice to appear in court.  The magistrate will then decide an appropriate penalty.


It is important that you speak to a Queensland Traffic Lawyer to achieve the best possible result. Special hardship orders might be an option for keeping a restricted licence, if you qualify. Please see our information on such licence applications.


Can I apply for a work licence?


If you are convicted of a high speed offence and are facing the 6 month licence suspnsion, contact us to see if you are eligible for a special hardship order that may allow you to drive for work purposes. 


It is vital you contact us as soon as you recieve correspondence from Qld Transport as strict time limits apply. 

Contact Us


Queensland Traffic Lawyers

(07) 5532 3133


Gold Coast Office

44 Davenport St

Southport QLD




Brisbane Office

6/140 Ann St

Brisbane QLD



  • Facebook Black Round
  • YouTube Black Round
  • Twitter Black Round

Quick Enquiry

Success! Message received.